Monday, May 5, 2014

Gluten Infrequent

 Source:  Medium, via my friend Lily.

Personally, I find Fundraisers a heck of a lot more irritating than gluten, but clearly I am in the minority. The boom in gluten-free living cannot be explained by celiac disease alone. In some ways it's a handy shorthand for cutting out a big source of carbs in most meals and snacks, and loads of people swear they just plain feel better without it. 

Source:  The New Yorker, via my friend Andrea

I promised myself that this project would not be about drastic measures, so rather than excising the socially-reviled stuff completely, I've slowly been going Gluten-Infrequent.  It was tough at first, but I find that most days, I can do without it.  I indulge in a piece of dark chocolate instead of a cookie, and have apples instead of crackers with my cheese.  Then, once or twice a week, when the meal or occasion warrants it, I tear off a big hunk of a crusty French loaf and enjoy every last bite.

This incredible cioppino would not have been the same without that glorious grilled bread.

Now if only someone could do away with compact parking spots, I'd be truly happy.