Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Pushmi-Pullyu

I was prepared to be tempted by cocktails and cookies and crackers and cheese, and to lose a few of those battles.  Sure enough, that's happened.  

What I wasn't expecting was the lure of drastic change.  Now that the needle has moved a little, I really want it to move a lot.  And fast.  

Let's just say I've caught myself lingering a little too long on those late night weight loss infomercials, even after a week of healthy eating and a decent amount of exercise.

Yep. I'm irrationally dissatisfied that I'm basically on track.  


In Dr. Doolittle, there's a miraculous beast called a Pushmi-Pullyu.  The one in the story is quite graceful, even doing a little dance number, if I recall correctly.   But if she tried to run? It would not have been pretty.

Likewise, I'd be setting myself up for failure if I tried to cheat by taking shortcuts, as enticing as a diet of nutritious protein shakes and Insanity videos might be.   I'm still way too tangled up with old habits that will pull me right back up the scale if I push too hard.  That was the old me...a two headed contradiction moving one way first, and then right back the other direction*.


I'm aiming for the new me to be a cartoon tortoise instead, hopefully with a few hare-like moments along the way**.   To that end, now that I'm slowly moving in the right direction at last, I'm goint to try giving my metabolism a boost with the Fast Metabolism Diet.   Yes, it has that dreaded word "diet" in it, but the program seems to be a doable combination of good, healthful eating and moderate exercise, along with a rotating schedule that keeps things both interesting and manageable.  It's been fantastic for a good friend of mine, who looks and feels amazing after a couple of months of following the plan.

No more Pushmi-Pullyu.  Call me Speedy Tortoise!!  Ready, set, go!


* Not for nothing the guy's name was Doolittle.  Am I right?
** Watch the whole hilarious episode here.